The Strategy document is part of a 36-month cooperative agreement between the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), with support from the Health Resources and Services Administration’s (HRSA) EMS for Children (EMSC) Program, and the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP). It stems from a recommendation from NEMSAC, a group created in 2007, to provide guidance to the U.S. Department of Transportation and the NHTSA Office of EMS.
The primary objective of the project is to identify the safety issues within emergency medical services, and develop a strategy for a new culture of safety within EMS. The American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP), is leading this effort with assistance from an 18 member Steering Committee made up of national EMS organizational representatives. Dr. Sabina Braithwaite is chairing the Steering Committee.
- December 2010 – Steering Committee Selection - Representatives from 18 national EMS and fire service organizations were invited to serve on the steering committee for the initiative, providing guidance to the process and serving as a sounding board. An additional 21 organizations have also been invited to participate in the Strategy development process.
- April 2011 – Steering Committee Strategy Meeting - A planning meeting in Washington D.C. was attended by the Steering Committee and representatives of the American College of Emergency Physicians, Federal Partners and The RedFlash Group.
- June 2011-The National EMS Culture of Safety Strategy Conference –Bringing together representatives from the Steering Committee, stakeholder organizations, Federal entities and members of the public, this two-day meeting was the initial step in formulating the Strategy approach and the first draft of the National EMS Culture of Safety Document. Representatives provided expert input, direction and content to be incorporated into the draft. A podcast from the National Conference including interviews with attendees, speakers, representatives from NHTSA and the project team is available at http://www.mediccast.com/blog/.
- December 2011-First Public Strategy Draft Released -After continued work and input from the steering committee, the second draft (first public draft) was released and public comment is sought in the further development of the strategy.
- December 2011 – NEMSAC Presentation – The project team, including ACEP and the RedFlash Group provided a report to the National EMS Advisory Committee (NEMSAC) regarding the project status and draft availability for public comment.
- March 2012 – Draft Two Public Comment Review – Public comment closes February 24, 2012 and Steering Committee considers public comment for development of Draft Three.
- May 2012 – Draft Three Available For Public Review
- June 2012 – National Review Meeting in Washington D.C. – Additional details about the National Review Meeting will be available in early 2012.
- December 2012 – NEMSAC Draft Available for Comment – The Steering Committee and project team submit a NEMSAC draft for review by the National EMS Advisory Council. Public comments regarding the NEMSAC version can be submitted to NEMSAC@dot.gov prior to the January 29-30, 2013 meeting.
- The final document for a National Culture of Safety Strategy will be submitted in 2013.